Board of Management
Loreto Bray is managed by a Board of Management which operates within the guidelines of the Articles of Management of Voluntary Secondary Schools and the educational philosophy of the Loreto Trust Board.
The members of the Board of Management 2017 – 2020 are:
|CHAIRPERSON||Mr. Michael Denny|
|TRUSTEE REPRESENTATIVES||Ms. Laura Cuddihy|
|Mr. Eamonn Burgess|
|Ms. Lucy Cowley|
|PARENT REPRESENTATIVES||Ms. Amanda Clooney|
|Mr. Neal O’Doherty|
|TEACHER REPRESENTATIVES||Ms. Louise Keogh|
|Ms. Maria Lynch|
|SECRETARY TO THE BOARD||Ms. Emma Raughter|
Philosophy of Education
Loreto Bray is a Catholic all-girls secondary school under the trusteeship of the Loreto Trust Board. Loreto Bray strives to live out the Loreto philosophy of education by striving to ensure that:
Love, freedom, justice, sincerity and joy find expression in all our daily interactions.
Young people feel accepted and allowed to experience the exercise of appropriate responsibility.
The potential of each individual â€“ spiritual, intellectual and physical â€“ is recognised and respected.
Special concern for the disadvantaged and underprivileged is experienced and encouraged.
Positive critical reflection is developed.
The challenge of suffering is faced.
Staff, parents, students, past-pupils co-operate for the common good.
In the power of Christ and with Mary as our model, we try
To awaken the hearts and minds of young people
To help them value and develop their heritage of faith and culture.
To encourage them to use positively the talents with which they have been gifted in the service of others, to the greater glory of God.
Self Evaluation Report and Improvement Plan
Sports Hall Rental
For all information regarding the use and hire of The Loreto Sports Hall, contact Cormac Connor 086 379 2688 or complete the Form below.
The Loreto Sports Hall provides top class facilities for all kinds of sporting events and is especially suited to indoor team sports and fitness activities.
Facilities may be utilised as follows:
- full-size basketball court with eight practice rings,
- One full-size volleyball court
- Four badminton courts
- One indoor soccer
- Standard rate for hall hire is € 70/hour.
- All payments must be made in advance.
- Clients must provide own public liability insurance.
- Discounts are available for block bookings.
In the 1800’s to the south of the small town of Bray spread the 600 acre estate of the Putland family. At the end of a long avenue surrounded by fields where cattle grazed, stood the main residence named ‘Sans Souci’. It was described by Desmond Forristal in his book “The First Loreto Sister” as “an attractive Georgian manor, spacious without being overbearing and boasting an unusually splendid conservatory”. Charles Putland reportedly wished to sell the house having had some trouble with his family who were seeking their share of the family estate. He was a man who had previously given generously to the building of a Catholic church in Co. Cork. Mrs. Putland was a benefactress of a local Bray School in which one hundred poor children were clothed and educated. She also employed forty poor women in a flax and wool business (c.1850).
Francis Ball (Mother Teresa Ball) was a former pupil of the York Convent School who had joined the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Loreto Sisters). It was in response to a request from Archbishop Murray of Dublin that the community sent Mother Teresa Ball (herself a young Dublin woman) to Dublin in 1821 to begin her ministry of the Education of young Catholic Women in Ireland. The Loreto sisters were firmly committed to the education of young Catholic women in, having previously opened Loreto Abbey in Rathfarnham in 1822. On August 10th 1850, the 29th anniversary of her departure from York, Mother Teresa founded the twentieth Loreto Convent. She purchased “Sans Souci” in 1850 for the price of around Â£8,000. The house, with 72 acres extending down to the sea, had been empty and neglected for some time before Mother Teresa bought it. The necessary repairs took several months. By November 22nd it was ready for occupation and Mother Conception Lopez, who was appointed Superior, took up residence with a community of seven nuns in the new convent, which was dedicated to St.Columba. Mass was first celebrated in St. Columba’s on November 25th 1850.
In 1850 the fee paying school comprising both Junior and senior schools opened in January as a day and boarding school with its students numbering sixty-four by July 1850.In 1851 a small “Free School” was started and was granted National School status in May 1854. It opened with 189 students on the books. By 1868 the educational census noted that the Convent National School had 126 female students.
By 1879, numbers in the Secondary School had risen to 80 boarders. 1895 saw Loreto Bray’s first candidates sit public examinations. During both World Wars, Loreto Convent School thrived, accommodating extra students from England, France and Spain sent as boarders to Loreto Convent Bray to continue their education in safety.
In the 1960’s the move was toward “free education” giving “equality of educational opportunity to all”. In September 1967 the “Free Education Act” was introduced and Loreto Bray decided to join this scheme. Accommodation for the great influx of numbers became the chief problem. Prefabricated classrooms (Pacelli and the original St.Anne’s) seemed to be the only solution. After protracted years of negotiations with the Department of Education, permission was finally granted for a completely new wing (St.Joseph’s) with all modern facilities. The building was begun in 1970. It comprised of a reception area, an administrative block, a staffroom (extended in 1986/’87, nine classrooms, a Geography room, two science laboratories, a sewing room, a kitchen, and an art room. It was ready for occupation by September 1971.
In 1978 the Concert Hall was connected to St. Josephs, adding three more classrooms and converting the St. Francis Xavier’s dormitory above the Concert Hall to a further three classrooms. In June 1979 the boarding school was finally closed, after a careful phasing out. 1985 saw the rebuilding of St.Anne’s replacing the old prefabs with new ones. St. Anne’s was extended in 1988. The all weather pitch and hard tennis courts were added. In 1989 St.Columba’s Chapel was deconsecrated. In 1993 a locker room in St.Joseph’s was converted into a new Prayer room and a second locker room into a Music room.
In 1995/1996 “Harmony Heights”, previously boarder’s bedrooms was converted into a spacious computer suite and a canteen was provided in St.Columba’s. In 1999, the Mary Ward Building opened comprising of an Oratory, a Stage with large Auditorium, a Language Laboratory, an Art room, three Science laboratories, a Career Guidance office, A Home Economics room, a Music room, a teacher’s work room, a Business room and small kitchenette. The Astro turf pitch was built in 2000 and changing rooms were added in 2003. The Sports Hall, with Gym suite was completed in 2009.
The Loreto Bray Library
“A room without books is like a body without a soul” and the same can be said for a school, because a school without books is like a school without soul but our school has plenty of soul!
Our library has been revamped, reinvigorated and recharged so that it has become the fulcrum of our school community, it is not only loaded with contemporary fiction, classic and non-fiction books, it is a space where students can do research, play board games and of course, relax with a good book.
Every month our library team launch a new theme with activities, games and competitions centred around that theme with a view to encouraging a love of reading. In September we had our Banned Books Day which involved an epic scavenger hunt. It saw an excited gaggle of students running frantically around the school, following clues in order to win the prize and find the keys to release the banned books which had been locked up. Not only were both staff and students enthralled with the amount of books that had been banned, it also demonstrated the importance of freedom of speech and the press.
October was naturally Halloween themed and our library team launched a short story competition where we called on all our budding writers to get the creative juices flowing and unleash their inner Stephen King to write an original and unique horror story. After mulling through all the entries for a long time, our judges made the difficult decision to choose the winners which were: Freya Rothwell for the juniors and Helena Brady for the seniors. We made sure they signed their stories, so we can have originals when they become famous!
The second term saw the school community get involved in a massive game of book bingo which involved students racing to meet a number of literary challenges within a tight deadline. We were overwhelmed by the participation and by how many students accepted the challenge and completely exceeded all our expectations.
With the arrival of the New Year, we challenged students to “branch out into a new book” and displayed all our student recommendations around the library walls. Our plan for the rest of the academic year is to embrace World Book Day by assigning certain countries to year groups to encourage them to read outside their comfort zones. For Poetry Day we will run a Haiku competition and we’ll round up the literary activities for the year with Drop Everything and Read games.
2018 also saw the launch of the new student role of Book Club Captain: Karen Megannety. She will be responsible for the marketing and PR for the junior book club, this is new role of student responsibility and we are very excited to see how she models and shapes the role for all the future Book Club Captains coming up the ranks!